Great Interview Tips for IT Professionals!
Interviewing is a skill, and like any other, it can be learned and improved upon. The way to ensure you have a great interview is to be prepared and understand what steps you will take before, during and after your interview. When interviewing you should create a positive first impression as an IT professional. The interview process should reinforce your overall value to a potential employer, and make them want you to be a part of their team.
Before you interview:
- Research your interviewer
- Learn about your potential new employer
- Plan your answers to common interview questions
- Practice answering these questions out loud
- Dress professionally
- Don’t be late!
During your interview:
- Shake hands with your interviewer
- Give great eye contact
- Don’t over talk the interviewer
- Listen then speak
- Provide examples to support your statements
- Ask questions
- Do not speak negatively about prior managers or employers
- Don’t bring your cell phone into the interview
After your interview:
- Thank the interviewer for their time
- Send a thank you note or email to the interviewer
- Connect with the interviewer on LinkedIn
One of the best things to do to remain competitive is to ensure that you do not have long gaps of unemployment. Even if you do not have a “full time” job or something of that nature- then do something that ensures that your skills and abilities are kept up to date weather that is volunteering, education, part time work or contracts.